It is estimated that 60 – 80% of Americans will experience a neck or back disorder at some point in their lives. For the majority of these individuals, the condition is mild and temporary. For some people, however, the problem continues and may require medical evaluation and treatment.
The highly-regarded Spine Center from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center now has a full program at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton, bringing a team of leading spine surgeons and pain medicine specialists from the medical center to a convenient, community hospital setting.
The Spine Center at BID-Milton is for adults with neck and back conditions including:
- Acute or chronic back and neck disorders
- Degenerative disease, including lumbar and spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, osteoporosis, compression fractures of the spine and spondylolisthesis
- Central spinal cord compression (myelopathy)
- Spinal nerve root problems (radiculopathy)
- Arthritis of the spine
- Spinal deformities, including scoliosis and kyphosis
- Spine trauma and spinal cord injuries
- Spinal tumors
Under the direction of co-directors Efstathios Papavassiliou, MD, a spine neurosurgeon, and Andrew White, MD, a spine orthopedic surgeon, patients are thoroughly evaluated to determine the best treatment pathway. Patients who are not candidates for surgery, can be treated by pain medicine specialists Cyrus Yazdi, MD, or Paragi Rana, MD, or referred to physical therapy in the hospital's new Rehabilitation Services Center.
This seamless approach ensures patients their spine care is closely coordinated between specialists.
Surgery can often be performed conveniently close to home at BID-Milton. Surgical procedures that are performed at BID-Milton include:
- Decompression, fusion and instrumentation procedures via minimally invasive approaches or traditional open surgery
Complex cases requiring the resources of a major academic medical center can also be performed at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
To schedule an appointment with the Spine Program at BID-Milton, please call (617) 313-1420.