It is estimated that 60 – 80% of Americans will experience a neck or back disorder at some point in their lives. For the majority of these individuals, the condition is mild and temporary. For some people, however, the problem continues and may require medical evaluation and treatment.
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton (BID-Milton) has partnered with highly acclaimed spine surgeons from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston to offer a unique Spine Program at BID-Milton. This integrated program provides residents of the greater South Shore with the collective expertise and resources of a team of leading spine specialists close to home.
The Spine Program at BID-Milton is for adults with neck and back conditions including:
- Acute or chronic back and neck disorders
- Degenerative disease, including lumbar and spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, osteoporosis, compression fractures of the spine and spondylolisthesis
- Central spinal cord compression (myelopathy)
- Spinal nerve root problems (radiculopathy)
- Arthritis of the spine
- Spinal deformities, including scoliosis and kyphosis
- Spine trauma and spinal cord injuries
- Spinal tumors
The Spine Program begins with a comprehensive musculoskeletal evaluation which could include diagnostic tests such as an MRI, CT scans, bone scans, X-rays and PET scans. Nerve conduction studies and a neurology evaluation may also be performed.
Once a diagnosis has been established, patients are referred for either non-surgical treatments, such as physical therapy, or for a surgical evaluation. If a surgical consultation is recommended, patients can be referred to a spine surgeon from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center who evaluates patients at BID-Milton's new Center for Specialty Care.
This seamless approach ensures patients their spine care is closely coordinated between specialists.
Surgery can often be performed conveniently close to home at BID-Milton. Surgical procedures that are performed at BID-Milton include:
- Decompression, fusion and instrumentation procedures via minimally invasive approaches or traditional open surgery
Complex cases requiring the resources of a major academic medical center can also be performed at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
To schedule an appointment with the Spine Program at BID-Milton, please call 617-698-0099