What is a hospitalist?
Hospitalists are physicians who specialize in the care of hospitalized patients at the request of some primary care physicians (PCP). Hospitalists do not see patients in primary care offices or in outpatient clinics. Their exclusive focus is providing the best care for you during your hospital stay.
Why do some physicians choose hospitalists to care for their hospitalized patients?
The use of hospitalists has become increasingly common in many hospitals. Studies have shown that hospitalists provide inpatients with high quality care while allowing PCP's to concentrate on patients visiting their practices. Studies have also shown that in general, both patients and PCP's are very satisfied with care provided by hospitalists. Other benefits of hospitalist care include:
- providing patients with immediate accessibility to a physician throughout the day
- quick follow-up on your progress and test results
- routine communication with you and your family
How does the hospitalist system work?
Your hospitalist team will direct your care and see you daily during your hospital stay. Your hospitalist may ask other physician specialists to see you as well. Working very closely with your entire team of care providers-nurse, social worker, dietitian, respiratory therapist, and pharmacist-your hospitalist provides you the safest and best care available.
Your hospitalist will arrange for any services or prescriptions that you may need upon discharge. After you are discharged, your PCP will then resume responsibility for your care and will arrange any further services you require.
How will the hospitalist communicate with your PCP?
Hospitalists work very closely with your PCP in many ways:
- At the time of admission, the hospitalist and/or ER physician will inform your PCP of your admission and get additional information about your history and medications.
- At the time of discharge, the hospitalist will again contact your PCP with an update on your hospital treatment and recommendations for follow-up care.
- A written summary of your hospital stay will be mailed to your primary care physician
- Contact information for reaching BID-Milton Hospitalist Services physicians will be provided during your stay and at discharge
Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare Hospitalist Services Team:
Chi Chang Daniel Siao, MD
Site Medical Director
Residency: Englewood Hospital and Medical Center, Englewood, NJ
Satya Sree Dondapati, MD
Residency: Guthrie Health/Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, PA
Rashmi Thatte, MD
Residency: Mercy Catholic Medical Center, Darby, PA